The San Marcos River Foundation (SMRF), along with Lion's Club, the Texas River Protection Association and local volunteers, cleaned up the San Marcos River during The Great Texas River Clean Up on March 3.
The cleanup covered the entire 90 miles of river between San Marcos and Gonzales. The volunteers on foot cleaned the trails and river tributaries. There were also volunteers in boats and canoes collecting trash out of the water.
![]() |
| Garbage cleaned out of the river |
Tom Goynes, president of the Texas River Protection Association and a board member of SMRF, was pleased with the turnout.
"I estimate we had about 300 volunteers total," said Goynes. "I figured that we probably got 50 cubic yards of garbage out of the river."
Volunteers pulled out a variety of items from the water.
"I was in a canoe," said Brittany Reilly, local volunteer. "I picked out little things like beer cans and then would find things like tires. Someone even found a couch."
![]() |
| Items removed from the river |
Many Texas State students took part in the river cleanup.
"I was eager to help," said Gabriella Tijerina, Texas State sophomore. "Everyone knows the best part about Texas State is the San Marcos River. And who wants to swim in a dirty river?"
The volunteers were provided with coffee, tacos, and pizza courtesy of the City of San Marcos.
"I'm so glad I volunteered," said Morgan Henkhaus, Texas State sophomore. "It was for a good cause and I got free food out of it. Win, win in my book."
Although the river cleanup was a success, additional efforts are still needed.
"Some sections had more volunteers than others, so some ended up real clean while others still need work," said Goynes.
There are other river cleanups throughout the year. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact SMRF at 512-353-4628 or visit
http://www.txrivers.org/calendar.html for more info.
http://www.txrivers.org/calendar.html for more info.


No comments:
Post a Comment